Stories, thoughts and reflections from my life.

My photo
I'm a climber, skier, hiker, and biker...among other things. I believe that communing with the outdoors can give us incredible insight into our lives, build friendships that last a lifetime, and open our eyes to the larger world around us. This is my blog. Welcome.

16 December 2012

Thoughtful Silence

-Day 16 of 31-

I visited my parents place this weekend after climbing at Crescent Rock yesterday.  Funny how I know for sure where certain traits I possess come from in my family.  One of the more prominent traits would be my "gift of gab".  My father is surely responsible for this.  But of course, everyone in my family knows this to be true.  It's just always interesting to me when it's clearly the case because he's talking to me and going from subject to subject, drifting off the original line of conversation.  I take a deep breath and relax.  I try to somehow bring the conversation back to the original tangent line.  That's the mental cue I use for myself to get me back on track when I wander in conversation.  Sometimes it works, sometimes not.  But I try to be aware.  I also try to draw others in and have a balanced conversation.  Nothing is worse than someone who just drones on and on...trust me I know! :-)


Those of you that know me, know that I will likely talk when we're hanging out.  If I'm not talkative you might think something is wrong...and you may be right!  I enjoy good conversation and silence can sometimes seem awkward and odd to me.  Of course, I know when I need silence and quiet thoughtfulness, but I do not always know when others need this.  So silence from someone I'm with can sometimes be an interesting challenge for me.  I may say, "Talk to me...tell me what's up."  But nothing may be 'up'...you may just want to be quiet, thoughtful, and to enjoy the moment in peaceful silence. 

While thinking about this subject on the drive home this evening I remembered a quote that has stuck with me for a long time.  It's from a ceremony in the Order of the Arrow, an honor and service organization within Boy Scouts.  During the induction weekend you are bound to a full day of complete silence while you fast and yet do service projects.  It's not called an Ordeal for nothing.  It really is an amazing personal journey if you treat it that way and use it for inner reflection:

"Hours spent in thoughtful silence help us make the right decisions more than days and days of talking; help us feel the cords of sunlight tying all the world together."

Quite poignant.

With all the media constantly buzzing about this or that, all the things that vie for our attention, the persistent assault on our senses, etc.  Silence and quiet reflective moments can be few and far between.  But they can be the most helpful.  Perhaps that's another reason why I love climbing so much.  Even in the gym I can shut out the ambient sound and at least be quiet within myself...quiet the mind and focus only on the moves in front of me.  It helps focus my spirit on the important things in life and bring me back to my true inner self.

I'm reminded of a recent trip to the Gunks in New York.  I was leading pitch 2 of Madame G's, a wonderful, moderate line up a steep face with lots of horizontal cracks.  The day was chilly and breezy with overcast skies.  I had on a thin hat under my helmet, covering my ears and muffling them.  As I climbed I realized how quiet it was.  The place was practically deserted.  It was only me, the rock, and the breeze I could barely feel around me...but not really hear.  I placed protection when I needed to, but I hardly noticed the rope attached to me nor the weight of the gear hanging on my harness.  The silence was so enveloping that day and I moved so quietly and confidently that it was utter peacefulness.  My voice sounded strangely out of place when I secured myself at the top and yelled to my partner, "Off Belay!".  It was an amazing bit of climbing and I will treasure that memory always.

So in closing, here are some things to think about and try while climbing:  Breathe (constantly), be calm, focus on your movements, climb quietly - both vocally and with your hands and feet.  Move deliberately and full of purpose, committing yourself entirely.  Be strong, but silent.

Happy and peaceful climbing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! Feel free to leave comments. I'm always interested to hear what people think or any suggestions they might have. Thanks for dropping by!