Stories, thoughts and reflections from my life.

My photo
I'm a climber, skier, hiker, and biker...among other things. I believe that communing with the outdoors can give us incredible insight into our lives, build friendships that last a lifetime, and open our eyes to the larger world around us. This is my blog. Welcome.

02 December 2012

A new dining room table!

-Post 2-

The new table is here! The new table is here! :-)  Yes, I'm obviously very stoked about this.  I've had a small dining room table for awhile now.  I made it myself a few years back with the help of my friend Frank.  I've outgrown it.

Awhile back I decided it was time to get something new.  I couldn't just settle for something out of a store but I didn't have the time to do the work myself back at my folks place in Winchester.  I settled on having an old family friend build it for me.  Al Murr is a professional furniture and cabinetmaker in the Winchester area.  He's been at it for decades and is still sawing and sanding away into his 70s now.  I knew that he would be able to do an outstanding job.  The question was what wood to use?


As it so happened, several years ago I came into a nice stash of high quality wood courtesy of my sister.  She works at Winchester Medical Center and on Christmas morning she gave me a call.  She told me that the hospital was replacing all of the large wall-mounted handrails on the floor.  All of the old rails were stacked up in a stairwell.  Did I want them?  I asked her what kind of wood she thought they were.  "Mahogany", came the reply.  Yup.  Mahogany boards about 8" wide x 1 1/4" thick and in varying lengths.  Dad and I drove over, picked it all up and stashed it away for another day.  Well, that day has arrived.

Al did a fantastic job on my table.  He put in an inlay of lacewood and turned the lower portion of the legs on a lathe.  And of course, he put his "signature" on the piece on the underneath.  It seats six comfortably (meaning I need two more chairs!), though eight could be squeezed in and it still fits on one of my Afghan carpets.  My buddy Chris delivered it today (much thanks!) and helped me get everything situated.  I'm going to use the old table that I made as a desk.  I also managed to get rid of my old papasan chair.  I loved that thing, but it was just taking up space and serving as a "clutter magnet".

Hopefully I'll be entertaining some people soon and putting the table to good use.  Hope to see you here!


Al's signature - puts it on every piece he makes


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! Feel free to leave comments. I'm always interested to hear what people think or any suggestions they might have. Thanks for dropping by!